- Special story auction day: MILLE MIGLIA ELIGIBLE!
- Rare version with the 312 cui engine with 3-speed manual
- Stunning color combination of Colonial White over Black&White vinyl interior
- 5,1 liter V8 producing 218 PS
- 3-speed manual transmission with overdrive
- Won the National Award in 1987
- Original purchase invoice from 1956 included
- Engine dress up kit
- User manual for the car and radio included
- All documents were checked by Auctomobile
- Other features: possibility of assisting with registration, transport, insurance, storage and Trusted Checkout payment
- Please note that this car will be available for viewing by prior appointment in Valence, France
For the Ford Thunderbird’s sophomore year of 1956, various style changes took place, with the ultimate goal of adding room in the trunk. This was, after all, an upscale luxury cruiser (as opposed to the Corvette’s sports car positioning), and there was a good chance the two occupants may be traveling with luggage to their destination.
The added trunk space was achieved my moving the spare wheel to the outside, in its own very stylish container. Additionally, the exhaust outlets, once integrated into the rear fascia on the 1955 model, were now worked into very subtle outlets on the corners of the rear bumper.
The addition of “porthole windows” for the 1956 Thunderbird improved rearward visibility and added one of the T-Bird’s signature styling cues. This was a no-cost option.
To improve cabin ventilation, small air vents were added behind the front wheels, which made for another functional component that became a signature stylish touch.
V-8 power continued to be standard for the ’56 T-Bird when Ford added an optional 312 cui version of the Y-Block V-8. This engine put out 218 PS with the manual transmission with an overdrive and with planetary gear-sets.
Production volume for the 1956 Ford Thunderbird was 15.631 units, which was the lowest of the first three years of the T-Bird, but still well more than three times higher than the Corvette at the time.
This is the most rare version with the 312 cui engine combined with the 3-speed manual with overdrive. The 312 cui engine produces around 15 PS more then the standard engine. The manual option is also rare to find. The car is presented in a stunning color combination of Colonial White over Black&White vinyl interior and won the National Award in 1987.
Original purchase invoice from 1956 is included, as is a user manual for the car and radio, which is correct for this model, but aftermarket.
A Great driver quality classic car, in excellent condition, eligible for many events including for the Mille Miglia!
We have also a car inspection (made by a professional company specialized in classic car) available for this car dated April 2021.